Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tips!

I was thinking about the things that I have done that have been extremely helpful in me cutting back my grocery bill.

1. Check inventory... The last thing you want to do is go shopping and then come home and SURPRISE you were low on something like... sugar! So, I check my cabinets for items that are low, have expired or close to it and what I need more of. With pen and paper in tow I write what I need down.

2. Plan meals... I plan 14 meals which is two weeks of meals that I know I will make and can make. I toss in some easy meals that can be cooked if my day happens to run long and maybe an experiment meal. Since, I have went through my cabinets I know what ingredients to buy and I add what I need my list.

(Let me tell you this is soooo helpful because it takes the thinking right out of it and there is no need to run back to the store because you forgot anything.)

3. Check Coupons... Now, I go through my coupons and check to see what has expired and what is relevant to my grocery list.

4. Gather Circulars...With the circulars gathered I go through and see what else might peek my interest like fruits, meats, cleaning products, etc. I also check to see who may have the best deals for what I need to buy off of my list.

5. Figure Travel... Gas is high and your time is valuable. I love to shop but I don't want to travel all over CT trying to receive deals plus waste gas. Weigh the savings, your time and patience before heading out. Know the stores in your area and the stores in surrounding areas. I travel for work and knowing where the stores are in surrounding towns has helped me use my time wisely.

Side Note... If you have the space keep a cooler in your trunk!

6. Benefits... I would suggest that you get familiar with what each store has to offer their customers! All stores have a gimmick. For example... Walmart tries to keep prices a little lower than most and will match the competitor but they do not double or triple coupons.

What are some of thing that you do to make shopping go a lot more smoothly?

No comments:

Post a Comment